Monday, June 26, 2006

A sweep

Over their last 10 games, the Tigers are 9-1. The team has followed form against weak teams -- win after win after win after win. But this past weekend brought the Cardinals, with a semi-recovered Pujols, into Detroit. The Tigers swept the series. What does that mean? It means they were as good as they seemed before. This is a legitimate first-half team. They've played consistently. They emerge from slumps quickly. Measuring the season with a broom over the Cardinals heads is an ephemeral approach. That series is a fading thing already. It's good for building some sort of momentum, but it seems unfair to judge the Tigers by a really good series. They shoud be judged by a really good 77 games. In the context of their season, sweeping the Cardinals is good. It is what this team does...at least so far.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sheeshabum said...

You feel bad to be a Tigers fan in exile? And on the East Coast? At least you have newspapers, radio and T.V. news summaries and sports.
I'll tell you what a real "exile" is! After Detroit won the World Series in 1968 against St. Louis, comming from far behind I was a wee lad of 15. I had to suffer in silence as my brothers and cousins laughed at our club's showing day after day. But Detroit won the World Series thanksto a great team of players. I figured at age 15 and a half I would take my luck with me and leave while I was ahead. I moved to Israel soon after which had 2,000 years of its own exile, and was happy but missed only the Tiger games which of course in 1969 were not reported at all in the Israeli newspapers.
Last year I found out about MLB "online" got a subscribtion and suffered nightly during the 2005 season.I watched only Detroit, win or lose or lose!
As we say in Hebrew "The ball is round and it goes around". :
Happy days are here again, and our GM and Jim Leyland deserve so much of the credit for working with our talented team of players!
Sheeshabum

6:33 PM  
Blogger Sheeshabum said...

You feel bad to be a Tigers fan in exile? And on the East Coast? At least you have newspapers, radio and T.V. news summaries and sports.
I'll tell you what a real "exile" is!
After Detroit won the World Series in 1968 against St. Louis, comming from far behind .I was a wee lad of 15. I had to suffer in silence as my brothers and cousins laughed at our club's showing day after day. But Detroit won the World Series thanks to a great team of players.
I figured at age 15 and a half I would take my luck with me and leave while I was ahead. I moved to Israel soon after which had 2,000 years of its own exile, and was happy but missed only the Tiger games which of course in 1969 were not reported at all in the Israeli newspapers. I am still in Israel.

Last year I found out about MLB "online" got a subscribtion and suffered nightly during the 2005 season.(We are 7 hours ahead of the East Coast time) with most games on at 2:00 AM Israel time. I watched only Detroit, win or lose or lose!
As we say in Hebrew "The ball is round and it goes around". :
Happy days are here again, and our GM and Jim Leyland deserve so much of the credit for working with our talented team of players!
Sheeshabum

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home